210 Table of Contents
Cessna 210 Buyers Guide Table of Contents
Every year, John Frank gives numerous talks, seminars, and classes on Cessna aircraft each year (including Oshkosh and AOPA Expo). He has been told hundreds of times, "Boy, I wish I had talked to you before I bought my 210!" That's why he wrote this book.
2. History of the Cessna 210
How the Cessna single-engine line evolved into the first Model 210 in 1960, and how the 210 changed dramatically during its 27 year production run.
3. Cessna 210 Typical Dimensions and Changes
A frank discussion of the strengths and weaknesses of the Cessna 210. It's an expensive and impractical way to go bore holes in the sky. Its strong suit is speed and load-carrying ability. Revealing comparisons with Bonanzas, Mooneys, and other Cessna aircraft.
5. Considerations on Buying an Older 210
A 1960 model can be purchased for a song, but when you consider all the costs, a later model might be a better buy. Detailed cost analysis and guidelines are provided.
6. Safety Aspects of the Centurion
Numerous 210 accidents have occurred because the owner had inadequate knowledge of the aircraft's systems and idiosynchrasies. A detailed discussion of fuel system, landing gear, and other crucial safety aspects that every 210 owner should know.
7. Insuring a Centurion
A Cessna 210 buyer stepping up from a lesser aircraft may have a real shock when he tries to get insurance. A realistic assessment of what kind of experience and ratings you need to get insured, and a detailed look at what sort of premiums to expect.
8. Frequently Asked Questions About Centurions
A potpourri of answers to the most common 210 questions. Discusses strutted versus cantelever wing models, normally-aspirated versus turbo, the oft-maligned gear retraction system, powerplant TBO, paint, ARC radios, known ice, oxygen, pressurization, and more.
9. Let's Talk About Performance Numbers
10. Performance Comparison between Cessna 210 Centurion
11. Performance Comparison between Turbocharged Cessna 210 Centurion
12. Performance Comparison between Cessna 210 Centurion and other Cessna Models
13. Performance Comparison between Cessna 210 Centurion and Similar Aircraft from Other Manufacturers.
14. Cessna 210 Changes by Model Year
The most detailed tabulation ever assembled of precisely what changed from one year to the next during the Cessna 210's production run from 1960 to 1986.
15. Cessna P210 Changes by Model Year
16. Landmark Models of Cessna 210 Centurions
Analysis of the strengths and weaknesses of various model years, and how to figure out "which year is the best."
17. Cessna 210 Centurion Serial Numbers
A tabulation of the starting and ending serial numbers of each model year.
18. Determining Operating Costs
Discussion of direct costs, variable costs, fixed costs, reserves, and capital costs. Includes a detailed worksheet for calculating hourly operating costs, with specific case studies.
A discussion of aftermarket modifications, including gear door removal, extended fuel tankage, standby vacuum systems, intercoolers, STOL kits, speed brakes, and horsepower increases.
20. How to Price a Centurion
A tabulation of bluebook values and how they should be adjusted for various situations.
21. Cessna 210 Bluebook Values
22. Cessna 210 Pre-Purchase Inspection
How a pre-purchase inspection should be accomplished, who should do it, and what it should cost.
23. Cessna 210 Pre-Purchase Inspection Guidelines
A 100-point program for inspecting a 210 before purchase, with detailed discussions of exactly what you and your mechanic should look for. If you're shopping for a 210, this chapter alone could save you thousands of dollars.
24. Cessna 210 Pre-Purchase Inspection Checklist
A form for your mechanic to use in performing a pre-purchase inspection on a 210.
25. Turbo 210 Critical Altitude Check
How to properly evaluate the condition of the turbocharging system on a T210. This procedure is a vital part of the pre-purchase inspection for turbo models.
26. Cessna 210 Airworthiness Directives
A discussion of the most important ADs that affect Cessna 210s.
27. Cessna 210 ADs in Chronological and Alphabetical Order
A year-by-year tabulation as well as an alphabetically ordered list of Airworthiness Directives.
28. Getting a Good Checkout in a Cessna 210
If you're stepping up to a Cessna 210, you need to find a CFI who is experienced in this model, and then ask your instructor to read this section. It discusses exactly what a good 210 checkout should cover.
29. Cessna 210 Checkout Checklist
30. Paperwork Involved in Buying an Aircraft
Discusses title searches, sales contracts, bills of sale, FAA registration, state registration, FCC radio station license, insurance, and applying for a custom N-number.
Some final words of wisdom that will keep you from making a big mistake.